In November we will be sending out your child's progress reports and inviting you to your child's Student-Led Conference. The Progress Reports will provide you with some important mid-term feedback on your child’s progress as they work towards the expectations for Term 1. The Term 1 report cards with final marks for the term will go home in February. Your partnership with the school is invaluable to your children’s academic and social success. We thank you for your efforts to work with your child’s teachers to support their development.
One factor that is important to review is the impact that irregular attendance and punctuality has on our student’s success in school. Please make every effort to schedule appointments and family events outside of the school day ensure your child arrive to school on time. The following are some of the ways that parents can help ensure student academic success in school:
- Check and sign student agenda or class website for homework, assignments daily
- Communicate with your teachers via agendas, phone or meetings
- Support reading strategies at home – read with your child daily or ensure that your child is reading daily. Ask questions about their reading. Help them make connections between what they read and their real life.
- Support math strategies at home - point out the math used and needed in everyday life, demonstrate how you solve problems every day, practice basic skills with your child regularly
- Help your child stay organized and focused when doing homework
- Ensure regular and punctual attendance
As always, we encourage appropriate student interactions and support the social and emotional well-being of our students. Although we reinforce bullying prevention through our character education and social skills with all our students throughout the year, Bullying Prevention is a focus for all schools in November and December. This year, to reinforce these important skills we were pleased to have added the interactive and engaging Saidat Bullying Prevention Presentation and workshop to our Arts and Athletics Enrichment Program.
We also encourage community outreach and were very happy to see so many of you participate in our very successful Family Autumn Ball. We want to thank our School Council for their hard work preparing this community outreach event and hope everyone had fun!